Questions About Your Medicines
What medicines are covered by AmeriHealth Caritas Pennsylvania Community HealthChoices?
AmeriHealth Caritas Pennsylvania (PA) Community HealthChoices (CHC) covers many prescription medicines and some over-the-counter medicines. Talk with your health care provider, your pharmacist, or Participant Services to find out if a medicine is covered. We make changes and add new medicines to the list of covered medicines from time to time.
To get the most current list, go to Find a medicine or call Participant Services. AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC must approve some medicines before you can get them. This is called prior authorization. Prior authorization is a way to make sure you get medicines that are proven to work and are right for you.
Are there any limits to the medicines covered by AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC ?
Yes, the limits are:
- There are limits to the amount of medicine dispensed at one time.
- The medicine must be medically necessary.
- The medicine must be covered under the Pennsylvania Medical Assistance program.
Does AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC cover over-the-counter (OTC) medicines?
Yes. AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC covers some OTC medicines if you have a prescription. Prescriptions are given only when you have a medical need for them. Some examples of OTC medicines covered by AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC are:
- Cough syrup.
- Sinus and allergy medicines.
- Pain medicine, such as acetaminophen, naproxen, and ibuprofen.
- Heartburn medicine, such as antacids, cimetidine, and ranitidine.
- Prenatal vitamins (vitamins for when you are pregnant).
Do all pharmacies accept AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC?
Most pharmacies in your area accept AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC . Ask your pharmacist to see whether it is part of the AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC pharmacy network. Or you can call Participant Services to get a list of the pharmacies in your area that accept AmeriHealth Caritas PA CHC *.
There could be a co-pay for some of your medicines.